In previous Intel Centrino notebooks you were able to use the program Notebook Hardware Control. After supplying an edited ACPI file you had the opportunity to change the CPU speed, voltage and videocard GPU Clock. This resulted in a more quiet laptop. Over the years Intel SpeedStep technology has become much better. Continue reading
In 2016, watching tv via the tradition cable or DVB-C might be further reduced by people watching on their tablets / via a computer. The first providers already have apps that work on Android and iOS devices. Streams are however lower than 720p, but very good SD quality. In order to watch these streams on pc, you can install an Android emulator. Continue reading
This article addresses uploading of ATRAC1 files in MD-SP or sometimes referred to as RAW SP files to pc. These have the extension .aea and can be played back in VLC Media Player (I use version 2.2). Continue reading
If you record in ATRAC3plus format on a Sony Hi-MD recorder you might want to playback the RAW files. This can be tricky as SonicStage is normally needed to upload and play the files since the files are DRM protected. Previously, HiMDRenderer was used but there is a new option for a while now. Continue reading
For my master thesis I had to gather enough data to do scientific research. Upfront I was told that collecting surveys from 50 teams on your own was “impossible”. I proved the opposite, in 3,5 months, which also involved a summer holiday so less responents were active. I am very proud of the result. Here are some tips if you would like to achieve the same result. Continue reading
I have a PS3 Slim with a 160GB harddisk that became too small to keep al my games, gamedata, movies, photo’s and other stuff so I decided to switch to a Seagate Momentus 750GB one. Continue reading
I wanted to remove SCMS copy protection from my home made CD-recordings to my Minidisc deck or vice versa. Unfortunately, When playing my Minidisc my CD-recorder refused to record. Since it’s music that I recorded from the radio or from tv it irritated me. So I decided to buy a cheap SCMS remover. Building was not an option since the printed manuals in Elektor were complicated. Buying a DIY Velleman kit was not an option (out of production) and an M-Audio CO3 was way too expensive to import from the US. It has several options like SCMS passthrough and some other options like original. Continue reading
Previously I wrote an article on disabling the Macrovision protection on my Philips DVDR-3570H recorder. Unfortunately, while I was one of the first that came into the test mode of the device, and I switched the Macrovision off, but it did not seem to work. Continue reading
OMSI is a bus simulator for Windows, I picked it up recently and it’s very fun. Unfortunately I have a steering wheel (Logitech Formula GP without Force) but am not allways able to mount that. Luckily I have a PS3 controller (Dualshock Sixaxis). So I decided to look if it was possible to map it. Continue reading
So you recorded tv shows on the (Philips) DVD hard disk recorder. But how to get those to a pc without burning to disk?
What we do know is that:
- The operating system on the hard drive seems to be fixed, that’s why putting in a new drive into the recorder fails, it cannot recognize the formatted drive.
- Jumper needs to be set to Master, standard on Cable select
- OS seems to be VXworks, filesystem vxext, other indication is OS20?
- Several attempts have been done to extract raw data via Hex editing, via Hex Workshop.
- Search for an offset, copy that to pc and rename to .ts or .mpeg.
- No files are encrypted, just raw mpeg files are on the drive, because the recorder needs to access the files fast.
- Another option is to copy over the whole drive to a larger drive with Hex Workshop and then extract this .bin file with ISO buster. But this is very time consuming and does not deliver the MPEG files we are after.
- Merging of the files is needed since they are fragmented.
- Some dvd recorders store in .VRO format or .TS. Philips recorders leave .mpeg files.
- I have done some investigation with Nucleus JFS Kernel but this has failed due to hard drive loss of power.
- Ubuntu live image did not recognize the drive, shows as empty and unformatted.
Let me know if you have further information regarding dvd hard disc recorder recovery.